Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day Five: I'm Not A Doctor!



Okay, a little background on this video. One, David Letterman, even on those days when he doesn't give a shit, is still freaking genius. I discovered his show when I was 10 or 11 years old, and it became a singular influence on what I find funny, even today. Sad, I know.

Two, Mike Singletary coaches the football club known as the San Fransisco 49ers, and his post-game press conferences are an exercise in comedic improv couched in sports cliche, repeated as often and seriously as possible.

And three, the Singletary impressionist in these videos is a Late Show staffer, who reportedly couldn't read lines off the cue-card, so another staffer just yelled them to him from off-stage. Hence, the echo-chamber effect you get in the above clip.

Which is what takes this video from mildly-funny to pee-pants hilarious. At least for me and David Letterman.

No comments: