Thursday, November 5, 2009

On why newspapers need to keep copy editors on the payroll



 From the desk of Mike Lupicia:

The Yankees had won the World Series again, and they all came running for Mo Rivera and this was all the Yankee Stadium night you could ask for now. Any Stadium. Rivera had gotten the last out of another Series, and now players from one of the great Yankee teams, which is exactly what this one became in the end, seemed to come running from everywhere, maybe even from across the street, on the night when the Yankees were finally back to being the Yankees again.

I've read this paragraph five or six times now, and I still have no idea what it means. It's in English, right? I think those are words. I'm sure those are words. I see nouns and verbs and even punctuation. But what does it mean?

And the kicker? Mike Lupicia is not a blogger. Mike Lupicia is a sports journalist. Good luck with that, newspaper industry.

No comments: